Temporary Sponsored Parent Visa

A wills lawyer helps navigate the complex world of estate planning, probate and legally binding wills

Many Australian Citizens, Permanent residents and New Zealand Citizens have been waiting for news of the new parent visa.  Here is a glimpse of the information available about the new temporary parent visa.The Turnbull Government announced during last year’s election that a new parent visa would be introduced. The Bill containing the new parent visa is before the Senate. If the Bill is passed it is expected to be available from the end of 2017.

What is the eligibility for the Temporary Sponsored Parent Visa?

In order to be eligible for the new parent visa a parent must be sponsored by a “biological, adoptive or step-child who is an Australian Citizen, Australian permanent resident or an eligible New Zealand Citizen.  Student visa holders (Subclass 500), temporary Partner visa holders (Subclass 309 and 820) and temporary work visa holder (Subclass 457) will not be eligible to sponsor their parents.

The “sponsoring child” must:

  • Be 18 years old or older;
  • Must have lived in Australia for at least 4 years;
  • Must meet a household income requirement;
  • Must meet character requirements;
  • Must accept legal liability for any debt owing for care in the public health system that the parent may incur during their stay in Australia.

What is the application process for the Temporary Sponsored Parent Visa

The visa application will involve two separate applications:

Stage 1 – Sponsor’s application (Child)

Stage 2 – Applicant’s application (Parent). This stage cannot take place unless the Sponsor’s application (stage 1) is approved. Parents must;

  • Meet identity requirements;
  • Meet health and character requirements;
  • Not have any outstanding debts to the Australian Public Health Services
  • Obtain and maintain Private Health Insurance during their stay in Australia.


There is a limit of sponsoring one set of parents at any given time.

Step-parents will be only elgible if they are married or in a defacto relationship with the biological parent of the sponsoring child.

The balance of family test does not apply to this visa and there is no English language requirement.

Visas will be granted for periods of 3 or 5 years. It is possible to renew this visa. The maximum period of stay under this visa is 10 years.

What can I do on this visa?

Holders of this visa will not be able to engage in paid work. However, they can assist with childcare and unpaid volunteer activities. They can also undertake short terrm study.

Visa costs

Visa fess for the 3 year visa is set to be approximately $5000 and the 5 year visa approximately $10,000.